Plumbing and Water Conservation: Practical Strategies for Every Household | APT

Blog & Newsroom

Posted by Brian Shoemaker

In a world where environmental consciousness is rapidly taking center stage, water conservation has become more crucial than ever. At Advanced Plumbing Technology, we understand the significance of preserving this precious resource while ensuring the functionality of your household plumbing systems. This comprehensive guide will equip you with practical strategies to not only maintain efficient plumbing but also contribute to the global effort of water conservation.

The Water Conservation Imperative

Water, the elixir of life, sustains all living beings on our planet. However, with increasing urbanization and growing populations, the demand for water has escalated dramatically. This has put immense pressure on water sources and distribution systems. As responsible members of society, it is imperative that we take measures to curb water wastage and optimize consumption.

Understanding Household Water Usage

Before delving into effective strategies, it’s essential to understand how water is used within the typical household. According to research, about 70% of indoor water usage occurs in the bathroom, primarily through toilets, showers, and faucets. The kitchen and laundry room contribute to the remaining 30% through activities like dishwashing and clothes washing.

Practical Water-Saving Strategies

High-Efficiency Toilets

Toilets are one of the main culprits of water wastage, accounting for a significant portion of indoor water consumption. Traditional toilets use around 1.6 to 3.5 gallons of water per flush, while modern high-efficiency toilets use as little as 1.28 gallons. Replacing your old toilets with high-efficiency models can save gallons of water with each flush.

Low-Flow Faucets and Showerheads

Faucets and showerheads equipped with low-flow technology regulate water flow without compromising water pressure. These fixtures can reduce water usage by up to 30% compared to standard fixtures, without sacrificing the comfort of your daily routines.

Fixing Leaks Promptly

Even the smallest leak can waste a surprising amount of water over time. A dripping faucet or a running toilet can lead to thousands of gallons of water waste annually. Please regularly check your plumbing for leaks and address them promptly to avoid unnecessary water loss.

Efficient Dishwashing and Laundry

When using dishwashers and washing machines, please make sure you have a full load before starting a cycle. This maximizes the efficiency of water usage. Also, could you consider using the appropriate water levels for smaller loads to avoid unnecessary consumption?

Collecting and Reusing Rainwater

Harvesting rainwater is an eco-friendly method to reduce your reliance on traditional water sources. Installing a rainwater collection system allows you to use rainwater for tasks like watering your garden or cleaning outdoor spaces.

Landscape Design and Irrigation

A well-thought-out landscape design can significantly impact water consumption. Opt for native plants and drought-resistant landscaping that require minimal irrigation. Implement smart irrigation systems that adjust watering schedules based on weather conditions to prevent overwatering.

Advanced Plumbing Technology’s Role

At Advanced Plumbing Technology, we are committed to providing top-notch plumbing services and fostering a culture of water conservation. Our expert technicians are skilled in installing water-efficient fixtures, conducting thorough plumbing inspections, and offering tailored solutions to reduce water wastage.


In conclusion, adopting water-saving practices in your household benefits the environment and translates into cost savings on your utility bills. By implementing strategies such as installing high-efficiency toilets, using low-flow fixtures, promptly addressing leaks, and optimizing your landscaping, you contribute to the larger water conservation goal. Remember, every drop counts, and with the proper measures, you can significantly impact preserving this precious resource for future generations.

For all your plumbing needs and to embark on the journey of water conservation information and knowledge, trust the experts at Advanced Plumbing Technology. Together, let’s pave the way for a sustainable and responsible future.